Taping and Strapping
Thursday 25th January Time: 9.30 - 3.30 £99 for JHS Certificate, which may be used for insurance
Early payment: JHS Certificate: £75 if payment is received by 30th December. The ITEC Award early payment is £300 if payment is received by 30th December.
For the ITEC course only: There is an assignment and 5 treatment evidence's to submit to us, with a further half day to assess you.
Past sports students who have done the one day course with us may convert this to the ITEC Award for £250, please contact email@example.com for details. There is no ITEC practical exam, but there is a fee to pay to ITEC (included in the cost) and the examiner who visits in June and December will want to see your submitted evidence.
Early payment: JHS Certificate: £75 if payment received by 30th December The ITEC Award early payment is £300 if payment received by 30th December
This one day workshop is designed for sports massage practitioners, sports therapists, remedial instructors, coaches and others working in the sports environment or a professional qualification i.e. Nurse, Osteopath, Physiotherapist, Physical Therapist or equivalent.
The workshop is held at Jackie Hamilton School premises at Melbourne House, Arminghall Close, Norwich NR3 3UE with free car parking
The workshop aims to teach the safe application of a number of taping techniques which the therapist will find useful when working in sport at any level and be able to successfully immobilize a body part using taping and strapping products, thus preventing injury during sport and to understand the properties of different types of tape products, and learn how to competently use different types of tape for support during sports activities and rehabilitation.
The main aim of the ITEC Level 3 Award in Taping and Strapping for Sport and Active Leisure is to enable learners to gain the practical and theoretical skills necessary to provide taping and strapping for the Sport and Active Leisure Industry. It has been designed for practitioners currently working in sport and active leisure, including osteopaths, physiotherapists, sports therapists and massage therapists. The purpose of this specialist qualification is to enrich practitioners understanding of taping and strapping techniques relevant to general support and to limit specific movement. It will provide learners with techniques to facilitate taping and strapping techniques. You will also be required to complete further study and generate evidence of your learning in your own time.
You will be shown how to assess which tape would be fit for purpose, and safely applying the tape to be fit for purpose. Participants will be able to describe how they would assess and design a functional taping support for a specific sport injury situation.
Mostly practical class. School Certificate will be issued along with a workshop manual containing information, pictures and examples of what you will be learning.
The course covers
- Principles and practice of strapping
- Structural Anatomy of the major joints of the body.
- Functional anatomy of the major joints of the body
- Muscle testing for all the muscles from modules:
-Remedial / Sports Massage
-Advances remedial / sports massage
- Sports mechanics / biomechanics / Posture assessment
- Review the pathology of tissue healing
- Review the stress placed on injured tissue in sport and leisure activity
- Contraindications to strapping
- Risks of taping in sport
- Key terminology used in strapping & taping
- Clinical Reasoning for safe and appropriate application of strapping for injury support
- Properties of different kinds of tape and their use
- How to apply tape so that it stays on
- How to apply tape mid sports event
- When to apply taping and strapping
- Use of taping in prevention of injury
- Relative effectiveness of various kinds of tapes, and applications
- The course participants will apply the most commonly required strapping for problems with the foot, ankle, knee, elbow, wrist and hand.
- You work hands-on with tape, and learn tips and hints from a practicing theapist
- You will learn how to work with spray adhesive, underwrap, cohesive, Elastic Adhesive, Zinc Oxide, and hand tearable Sports Tape
- Note this practical course involves working on fellow students
- ITEC Assignment
- ITEC Internal Practical Assessment
- Evidence of Treatment (Case Studies) as per syllabus
- JHS Continuous Assessment Practical and Theory
Therapists will need to buy taping materials so they can practice in class and as soon as they get home. Details will be sent to you when you sign up.
A kit has been sourced and will cost approximately £40 - 80 - depending on what you would like to use it for (e.g. working pitchside you will need a larger kit and we will send you a list so you can decide for yourself once you signup)
Payment may be made into the school account, please email firstname.lastname@example.org for details.